Public Health Project in Ghana
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Dodowa
- ROLE: Working alongside local healthcare professionals to conduct general health checks and several other procedures and participate in educational campaigns.
- Requirements: None
- TYPES OF PLACEMENTS: Hospitals and outreach work
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 1 week
- START DATES: Flexible
Interns who wish to specialize in the community outreach aspect of our Medicine & Healthcare programs in Ghana can join a fulltime Public Health project. Whether you are a student looking to gain experience in public health or already work in the field, you can contribute by helping local children and adults who would struggle to access healthcare or afford treatment without our outreach programs.
The Public Health project is based on the outskirts of Accra, Ghana’s capital city, in a town called Dodowa. Interns live with a local Ghanaian host family, who will welcome you into their home and introduce you to Ghanaian culture.
International Public Health Experience with Projects Abroad
Public health interns participate in community outreach activities every day. Interns work alongside a local healthcare professional who will train you wherever possible in the various screening and testing procedures.
Interns are involved in the following types of work:
- General health testing (e.g. blood sugar levels, body mass index, blood pressure)
- Eye screening
- Screening for worms
- Minor wound and skin treatments
- Malaria testing and treatment
- Educational talks on general health issues (e.g. hygiene and first aid)
The public health outreach programs take place in orphanages, schools, churches, villages, and community centres. Some days will be spent accompanying the team on outreaches to nearby villages and others will be spent in the public health department at the main hospital. Interns usually work from Monday to Friday and have the weekends free to experience living in Ghana.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Ghana Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
Public Health internships in Ghana are available for shorter periods than 4 weeks. While you will be able to gain valuable medical experience on a short-term trip, we recommend staying for a longer period to allow yourself more time to get to know the local medical system, see more of a variety of conditions and procedures, and develop stronger relationships with local medical staff.