Volunteer Building in the Philippines
- Placement locations: San Remigio and Bogo City, Cebu
- Role: Assist local builders to build, paint, and refurbish schools and houses
- Requirements: None
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 1 week
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering with Projects Abroad on the General Building Project in the Philippines is a way for you to help others by renovating and building houses and schools in disadvantaged communities. Many of these communities are in areas that were severely affected by Typhoon Haiyan, which devastated the Philippines in 2013. With your assistance, we can provide an improved living and learning environment for local people.
You will work alongside a local builder, who will teach you all the necessary building and construction skills to enable you to fully take part in the construction process, where you will assist with all levels of building. The construction techniques you will learn are ideal for sites with limited facilities.
No previous building experience is needed to take part in this project. If you have relevant skills in this field, you will be able to take on a more specialized role. However, all volunteers on the General Building Project need to be reasonably physically active and should be prepared for working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
We work in partnership with three local organizations mainly around San Remegio, but also throughout Bogo City.
Volunteering on the General Building Project
The National Housing Project (NHA), under the company DILAMAG Construction, hopes to construct close to 1000 houses (28.6 square meter bungalow row-houses) in one of the local villages (Barangay) in San Remegio. You are needed to help with the following activities:
- Laying foundation and concrete slabs
- Installing lift panels (piping, utility, and safety box)
- Plumbing (piping works for sewer and water line)
- Working on the door jambs
- Working on the roof framing and covering
- Tiling and floor topping works
- Plastering and painting
You will also work with a local tradesman to rebuild schools with the Kalahi-CIDSS organization, who hope to construct three schools in different Barangays of San Remegio, and the Rotary Club of Mactan, who aim to reconstruct five school buildings throughout Bogo City and one school in San Remegio. Here, you will assist with:
- Preparing the site (clearing the school building and removing damaged material)
- Transporting cement, sand, gravel, corrugated bars, and roof sheets
- Mixing cement and laying concrete hollow blocks
- Plastering the walls
- Installing roof sheets and bars
- Welding bars and assembling steel trusses
- Installing door and window jambs
- Cutting lumbers and ply woods
- Installing ceiling frames
- Painting walls, doors, ceilings, and roofs
During your time abroad in the Philippines, you will live with a local host family, who will welcome you into their home and teach you about Filipino culture and daily life. In your free time and over weekends, there is plenty to explore, and you can socialize with other Projects Abroad volunteers.
If you are a high school student and first-time traveler you may want to consider our High School Special programs in Philippines.
You can join the General Building Project in the Philippines from one week if you don't have time to join us for four weeks or more. This project has been selected by our local colleagues as being suitable for short term volunteering for both the host community and the volunteer. Although you will gain a valuable cultural insight and work intensely within the local community please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period and may not see the completion of some of the building work.