Volunteer as a Professional Speech Therapist in Vietnam
- POSITION: Speech Therapist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Hanoi
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Speech Therapy or a related subject
- ACCOMMODATION: Shared accommodation with fellow volunteers
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
In Vietnam, Projects Abroad offers qualified speech therapists the opportunity to volunteer abroad and use their skills to help disadvantaged children. You will have a crucial role at your placement, where you will assist staff at a rehabilitation centre for children suffering from dioxin-associated illness. This project is based approximately two hours from the centre of Hanoi.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer Speech Therapists help in Vietnam?
You will work alongside local professionals including local speech therapists to provide treatment to children. You will be treating patients aged between about 1 and 16 years old. Working hours are from 8.30am to 4.30pm. A local translator can also be arranged during your first week.
The project runs all year round so you can join at any time.
What will I gain from this project?
You will be involved with a friendly and highly dedicated team who are committed to the service they provide. Working with often limited resources and staff who lack technical knowledge and training, you will be able to adapt and develop your existing expertise to a different working environment. You will often face challenges not experienced in your home country. Through this cultural exchange you will learn different methodologies and techniques in your own discipline.
You will also have the opportunity to develop skills and experience in a wide variety of areas. These could be:
- Assessment of the needs of the project partner.
- Collaborating with the project partner to develop more efficient and effective systems in the workplace.
- Using your expertise to train staff and other volunteers.
- Using your initiative and problem solving skills to develop, set up, and manage programs.
- Developing and contributing to project evaluation reports to help with continuity between volunteers.
All of these tasks can provide you with valuable experience and transferable skills useful for your career, and make valuable use of your existing expertise where it is truly needed. Please note that the above tasks are all project dependent.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Vietnam is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe and friendly accommodation with other volunteers close to your placement.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A friendly member of staff available to meet you on arrival at the airport.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a degree in Speech Therapy or a related subject then you will be suited for this project.
It is possible to join this project for just two weeks if you don't have time to join us for a longer period. However, please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.
If you are interested in this project but don't have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Speech Therapy project in Vietnam.
Towards the end of the placement I did some work in educating the local therapists about various therapy techniques, theories, and ways of understanding disability and speech therapy. It was good to be able to exchange knowledge and experiences, but I very quickly realized that there were many gaps in my own knowledge! Read more...