Speech Therapy Internships in Vietnam
- Placement location: Hanoi, or surrounding rural areas
- Role: To work under the direction of skilled local staff at a rehabilitation centre in a rural area, or help provide training, give workshops, and assist with research at a cebtre for children with disabilities in Hanoi
- Types of placements: Rehabilitation centres
- Requirements: Interns must have completed at least one year of Speech Therapy studies or training
- Accommodation: Volunteer accommodation, host family, or hostels
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
A Projects Abroad Speech Therapy internship is a unique opportunity for interns to learn about speech therapy in a developing country and help many local patients who do not have access to specialized treatment.
Speech Therapy interns work under the direction of local staff at a rehabilitation centre, which cares for disabled children who have been adversely affected by the legacy of the Vietnamese War and other causes. This centre is outside Hanoi in a rural community. Volunteers can also choose to work at a centre for children with various disabilities and social issues in Hanoi, where you will work alongside staff to help provide training, give workshops, and assist with research.
To join this project, interns need to have completed at least one year of Speech Therapy studies or training.
Interning Abroad as a Speech Therapist in Vietnam with Projects Abroad
Projects Abroad interns who work at a rehabilitation centre in a rural area outside Hanoi, will stay on site at the rehabilitation centre. You will be able to spend your free time experiencing the sights and sounds of the area with the other volunteers and can travel around Hanoi on weekends.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Vietnam Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
To get the most out of this project, we encourage interns to sign up for the Vietnamese Language Course either before or during their placement.
Speech Therapy internships in Vietnam are available for shorter periods than 4 weeks. While you will be able to gain valuable medical experience on a short-term trip, we recommend staying for a longer period to allow yourself more time to get to know the local medical system, see more of a variety of conditions and procedures, and develop stronger relationships with local medical staff.
If you have qualifications or experience in this field then we can make use of your skills. Read more about the opportunities for skilled volunteers in Vietnam.