What is included in the prices?
Our prices include all your food, accommodation, insurance (for ages 65 and under), and back up. We have set prices on a weekly basis. See the prices page for more details.
The backbone of our program is MyProjectsAbroad, Projects Abroad's own online database that connects you to our administrative and support staff around the world.
The full organization of your project: including a supervisor at your placement and worthwhile work to do. If you are volunteering on a Standard Project, all necessary work-related transportation costs will be covered by Projects Abroad.
Local host families are carefully selected because they are friendly, welcoming and will go out of their way to look after our volunteers. Where we can't provide host families we place our volunteers together in secure accommodation.
We will ensure you are provided with 3 square meals a day; you can't work on an empty stomach!
During your time in-destination, all of your necessary work-related transportation costs will be covered by Projects Abroad. We will also pick you up at your arrival airport, and drop you off for your departure.
We have nearly 700 trained staff worldwide. In every country we have an office run by an experienced Overseas Director, trained in the United Kingdom. Staff can be contacted 24 hours a day.
They are responsible for your general well-being and liaise with your placement, accommodation and our staff in North America and the UK. See also Safety & Back-up.
Travel and medical insurance is included automatically (for volunteers age 65 and younger); you are covered no matter where you are from or where you are going. This can be extended on request to cover other travel you may be doing.
It is important that you carefully read the policy, especially regarding pre-existing medical conditions, to check that the cover meets with your needs. Our current insurers can only provide coverage for volunteers up to age 65. Volunteers ages 66+ will need to obtain alternative travel and medical insurance. For further information, please contact us.
Money is distributed across our placements and is put towards developing new ones. It is done on a case by case basis, you can call us to discuss this further.
Beyond the above, the price of each project also includes the following:
- Full induction and orientation by an experienced staff member on arrival
- Emergency assistance from our international emergency response team
- Project equipment and materials, including access to our database with thousands of resources
- Training and workshops from our experienced local staff
- Regular social events and community activities with other volunteers
- Access to our local office with internet connection
- Certification of project completion
- Middle School Specials, High School Specials, 19+ Specials, and Grown-up Specials, also include organized weekend tourist trips
- Middle School Specials and High School Specials also include dedicated full-time staff members with you 24 hours a day
- Conservation Projects that include diving also include PADI diving courses (to the value of US$500 per certification), diving equipment rental, and transfers to and from our specified airport
The price also covers support and preparation before you go, including:
- Visa support and advice
- Fundraising support, including your own personalized fundraising website
- Pre-departure preparation by our own specialist Volunteer Advisor
- A free cultural awareness course
- Membership to our volunteer social media groups, to share information and to get in touch
- Standard Projects, 19+ Specials, and Projects for Professionals also include support to help you complete registration or internship documents, if applicable
What is not Included in the Cost?
We can arrange these for you or you can book them yourself. Either way, our staff will be waiting at the airport on your arrival.
These will vary by destination and your vaccination history and choices. We can give you informal pointers but recommend you consult a family doctor in the first instance.
These vary hugely. We will give you full advice on obtaining a visa, but it can be a surprising extra cost. We have a rough guide to what to expect here.
We can give you a rough guide to what you might spend.
We can give you advice about which projects require a police check and how to arrange one.