Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Psychology, Vietnam
- POSITION: Psychologist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Hanoi
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Psychology and 5 years relevant experience
- ACCOMMODATION: Shared house with fellow volunteers
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 2 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
This voluntary psychology project helps treat children who have been diagnosed with autism.
The concept of autism is relatively new in Vietnam. With your help and expertise autism can be explored and explained. You will work at a local Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) and a clinic specializing in mental health conditions.
This project is perfect for any qualified psychologists who are looking to help in a developing country.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer psychologists help in Vietnam?
As a volunteer psychologist you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You can work on tasks such as:
- Training clinic staff in treatments that can help autistic and ADHD children.
- Observing and talking with clinic staff to provide feedback regarding improving how the clinic operates and staff’s technical performances.
- Training local staff at the NGO about mental health, social work, and family therapy techniques.
- Providing advice and instruction on developing training materials to health workers, social workers, and families.
In most cases you will be working for 8 hours a day, Monday to Friday, including a lunch break. The children involved in these projects are between 1 and 13 years old. Please let us know if you would prefer to work with a specific age group.
There is usually a good level of English spoken on the projects but if necessary you will be provided with a translator.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
Volunteer professionals will gain useful practice in leading and training a team. You will also experience the feel good factor that comes from helping staff plan for the future.
Through working with children and local staff, you will learn about Vietnamese culture and the local way of life. They will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Vietnam is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation in a house with fellow volunteers close to your project.
- A local staff member to cook your meals.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure.
- Comprehensive medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have completed a degree in Psychology, and have 5 years relevant experience then you are perfectly suited to this project. Please let us know if you have any areas of expertise.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Care projects in Vietnam.