Archaeology in Romania
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Various locations, including Deva, Sarmizegetusa Cluj, and Alba Museums
- Types of placements: Archaeological Site
- Accommodation: Host Families or Shared Volunteer House
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
- Arrival Airport: Bucharest (OTP)
- Local Languages: Romanian
By taking part in our Archaeology Project in Romania you will gain hands-on experience in archaeology and learn many practical skills relevant within this field. You'll work on one of Romania's many excavation and restoration sites near Project Abroad's base in Brasov, including Deva, Sarmizegetusa Cluj, and Alba Museums.
Working at ancient sites like this is a great way to learn about civilizations that have long since disappeared. Through clues, investigations, and practical research you can attempt to reconstruct many aspects of their way of life. The range of work is diverse, and though the majority of your time will be spent on site excavation, you'll also be involved in the analysis of findings, attend workshops, and conduct presentations.
Your accommodation will most likely be with a host family, but for some of the more remote sites you may stay at a shared volunteer house. This will depend on the particular site chosen for this year's program.
Your weekend will be spent exploring a beautiful nearby village surrounded by mountains in the heart of rural Transylvania.