Care & Community in Romania for Teens
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Brasov
- Types of placements: Day care centre
- Accommodation: Host family or guesthouse
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
Join our Care & Community High School Special Project in Romania to provide support to local children at a day care centre, and assist with light renovation work. The work you do will be highly beneficial in the lives of the children and you work with, and in the local community. By assisting the local staff and community, you will help improve the environment where the children learn and grow.
Some of the activities you will do at the centre can include:
- Teaching English
- Playing educational games
- Painting classroom murals
- Light renovation work
Getting a good quality education is a fundamental stepping-stone in a child’s life and your work will provide that extra support needed for improved education. Help children gain skills like counting and speaking English, which will see them become more self-sufficient and better prepared for starting school. Your presence at the centre will offer a welcome pair of hands for the local teachers who often struggle to give focused attention to children because schools and care centres are often understaffed.
On this High School Special project, you will help staff at the day care centre through activities such as:
- Working with small groups of children to enhance their reading and writing skills.
- Leading and assisting with educational games and group activities, which will focus on arts and crafts, sports, drama, dance, and song.
- Painting classrooms and helping with community clean-ups.
During your time to Romania, you will live with your fellow High School Special volunteers with a local host family or at a guesthouse.
You will have time to explore much of what the city of Brasov has to offer. We have some exciting activities planned for you, like visiting the narrowest street in Europe and shopping at local markets to taste delicious traditional dishes like chiftele – meatballs with a breadcrumb crust. On the weekend, we have planned a trip to Bran, where you can explore a beautiful mountain village in the heart of rural Transylvania, including the legendary home of Dracula!