Equine Therapy & Community in Bolivia
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Cochabamba
- Types of placements: Equestrian Centre
- Accommodation: Host Families or Hotel
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
- Arrival Airport: Cochabamba (CBB)
- Local Languages: Spanish, Quechua
The Equine Therapy & Community Project in Bolivia is ideal for any high school student interested in giving back and working with children and horses. The project is based at an equestrian centre in Cochabamba and helps provide therapy to around 60 disabled children. In addition, nearly 100 underprivileged children also come to the centre for riding lessons. Your assistance is crucial, as the placement is understaffed and under-resourced. An extra pair of helping hands can make a huge impact!
At the centre, your main focus will on helping the disabled children improve their motor and cognitive skills. The goal is to speed up their rehabilitation and increase quality of life. You will have several responsibilities at your placement, including:
- Building horse fences out of boards: cutting wood according to specifications, securing pillars in the ground, drilling holes in the wood pillars, placing the plants and boards.
- Building the floor of the stables and repair some of the stable roofs: preparing concrete, leveling the floor with concrete, plating bricks and cement.
- Interacting with the children: assisting in equine therapy classes, organizing a small party for the children at the centre, and riding the horses to keep them trained.
Each week day, you and the other High School Special volunteers will work at the centre for up to 8 hours. When you are not volunteering at the centre, your group will explore the town and participate in social and cultural activities organized by our local staff. Throughout your time in Bolivia, you will stay with a host family or in a hotel.