Conservation in Peru
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Taricaya Lodge and Research Centre
- Types of placements: Taraicaya Lodge and Research Centre
- Accommodation: Shared Dormitory
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
- Arrival Airport: Puerto Maldonado (PEM)
- Local Languages: Spanish, Quechua
For a chance to truly get away from it all this summer, join us for two weeks in the Peruvian rainforest, located deep in the heart of the Amazon. This project offers a unique opportunity to experience the rainforest environment and participate in important conservation activities.
Upon arrival at our jungle base at the Taricaya Lodge, you will be given a full orientation and receive an introduction to the project from one of our conservation staff. You will spend the two weeks working on the same schedule as our regular and more experienced volunteers. Projects currently include wildlife observations from our viewing platform high in the jungle canopy, night observation walks along the extensive network of trails, work on our animal release program, and managing a pilot farm we've created.
All volunteers live together at the lodge in shared rooms or small bungalows. Your weekend trip will either be a camping trip down river or a visit to Puerto Maldonado where you can relax in more luxurious surroundings and have a fun night out.
For more information about our work at the Taricaya Lodge, check out our Monthly Updates section.