Animal Care in Argentina High School Special
- Project Info
- What are High School Specials?
- Community Service Credit
- High School Specials Impact Report
- Placement location: Villa Allende City
- Types of placements: Dog shelter
- Accommodation: Host family
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
If you are a teenager that loves dogs, our Animal Care in Argentina volunteer project is for you. On this project you will work closely with dogs at a shelter, where you will lead them through training techniques, play with them, and help prepare them for adoption with local people and families. You will be able to offer a valuable helping hand to staff at the shelter who dedicate their lives to giving dogs in and around Cordoba a brighter future and a home.
The animal shelter in Cordoba is in desperate need of volunteer support. It cares for more than 200 dogs, and relies on donations to keep the facility running, as no funding is provided by the government. Stray and mistreated dogs is a huge and increasing problem in the area, and there are not enough groups of people trying to improve the situation. The shelter therefore relies heavily on volunteer assistance to help with socialising the dogs, preparing them for adoption, and assistance with light renovation work.
You can join this project for two or four weeks, and these are the activities you will help with during your stay:
- Train and socialise dogs to make them more suitable for adoption
- Observe a vet during treatments and surgeries
- Learn how to make winter clothes and leashes for dogs These are used for dogs at the shelter or sold on adoption days to raise funds.
- Feed and groom the dogs
- Help with general cleaning and maintenance of kennels
- Paint and repair fences
- Help with fundraising initiatives
- Assist with awareness campaigns to teach local communities about pet care and sterilisation.
During your stay in Argentina, you will live with a local host family who will provide you with an authentic Argentinian experience. You will get to enjoy traditional home-cooked meals where you can exchange stories about your day, life back home, and learn more about Argentina and the countries your fellow volunteers come from.
We have planned some exciting weekend activities for you. You will take part in an Amazing Race contest, visit a festival in Villa Gral Belgrano where you can sample many mouth-watering chocolates, take part on a hike to a beautiful waterfall in Santa Rosa de Calamuchita, enjoy a traditional Argentinian asado lunch at a local ranch, and you will get to explore the haunted Eden Hotel. You will share these amazing experiences with other high school volunteers from around the world, who you will be able to form life-long friendships with.