Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Acupuncture, Nepal
- POSITION: Acupuncturist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Kathmandu
- REQUIREMENTS: Officially recognized acupuncture qualification, and 2 years' experience of treating patients
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 2 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
Volunteer acupuncturists work at a private hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal.
This project would be perfect for anyone qualified considering volunteer work abroad or professional acupuncturists on a career break.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer acupuncturists help in Nepal?
As a volunteer acupuncturist you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You can work on tasks such as:
- Provide treatment for patients requiring acupuncture, including the following tasks:
- Making a diagnosis and devising a personalized treatment plan.
- Explaining the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and responding to any questions and concerns.
- Assessing patient progress through questioning and examination, and reviewing treatment plans if necessary.
- Treating by inserting fine needles into the skin at particular locations to stimulate the energy flow along meridians (energy channels) and the body’s own healing response.
- Incorporating other treatments (if applicable), such as:
- moxibustion (burning herbs to warm insertion points).
- acupressure (to loosen and relax muscles).
- Holding workshops with local staff and volunteers to teach them about different aspects of acupuncture. Acupuncture is not widely understood in Nepal, so this is an important part of the volunteer role.
You will be expected to work for four hours per day, Monday to Friday, although this may vary.
Volunteers working on this project must be prepared to work with little or no supervision. Please note senior hospital staff and Projects Abroad staff are able to speak English but most patients will not.
The institutions we work with treat patients of all ages and we allocate volunteers on a case by case basis. If you have a particular area of interest or expertise then please let us know.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it. However, it is worth being aware that it takes time to adjust to cultural differences and to gain the trust of local staff. Therefore, the longer you are able to stay the more you and the hospital will gain from the project.
What will I gain from this project?
You will get the chance to work independently and gain experience of treating patients in a basic environment. You will also work with local staff members who can provide an insight into the difference between East and West practices.
You will learn about Nepalese culture and way of life through speaking to your new colleagues. Staff and patients will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Nepal is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Nepalese family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- Collection on arrival at Kathmandu airport. You will spend your first night in a local hotel.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have completed at least an official acupuncture qualification recognized by your national or state governing body, and have two years' experience of treating patients, then you are perfectly suited to this project.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications or experience.