Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Nursing, Peru
- POSITION: Nurse
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Cusco
- REQUIREMENTS: Full qualifications as a nurse & relevant licence to practice
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
This voluntary medical project helps treat patients in hospitals in and around Cusco, Peru.
There is a huge demand for medical care in Peru. You can help ease the workload, treat patients and train local staff.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer nurses help in Peru?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer nurse. You can work on tasks such as:
- Helping existing staff to treat patients, including:
- Dressing wounds, monitoring pulse, blood pressure, and temperature etc.
- Checking and administering drugs and injections.
- Setting up drips and blood transfusions.
- Coordinating medical outreach programs within nearby towns and villages.
- Observing and assessing the work of local student and junior nurses and teaching them new skills where appropriate.
- Helping with training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other hospitals (optional).
We work with a variety of medical institutions in and around Cusco. You could work with one of two government hospitals. These are large facilities and you will be expected to work for around 6 hours per day, from Monday to Friday. Alternatively, it may be possible to perform some work at a smaller health centre.
This project runs all year round. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
This voluntary work abroad will help you gain a great deal of experience. You will work with a variety of patients and learn about treatment in the developing world. You will be able to share ideas and learn from fellow staff. There may well be illnesses and diseases that you have not encountered before in your home country. This project will give you the chance to learn about them.
You will spend a lot of time with local staff and patients. This will teach you about their culture and way of life. They will all want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Peru is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Peruvian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You need to be fully qualified as a nurse and have a relevant license to practice in your country of residence.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.