Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Occupational Therapy, Bolivia
- POSITION: Occupational Therapist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Cochabamba
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject; Intermediate to advanced level of Spanish
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
This volunteer occupational therapy project takes place in care centres in Cochabamba.
Most of the residents in these institutions have special needs. Many of them come from underprivileged or abusive backgrounds.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer occupational therapists help in Bolivia?
As a volunteer occupational therapist you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You can work on tasks such as:
- Helping existing staff to look after individual patients, including:
- Assessing the physical, mental and social challenges facing the patients.
- Devising treatment programs to increase their ability to tackle their difficulties independently.
- Observing the patients’ progress over a set time period.
- Working with local staff to find ways of improving the service provided to patients.
- Coaching people with learning difficulties or poor social skills.
- Observing and assessing the work of local trainee therapists.
- Running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other care centres (optional).
You will first be assigned to work with a supervisor who will help you as you adjust to life in Bolivia. Once you have settled in you will be able to work independently.
You will be dealing with patients aged between 8 and 35 years old. Volunteers work morning or afternoon sessions and you can help at more than one institution if you want to.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of working in a foreign country with a lack of resources. You will have to be creative and come up with new solutions to common problems. You will work alongside local staff and learn about methods used in Bolivia.
You will spend time in local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and patients will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Bolivia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Bolivian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have completed at least a degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject then you are perfectly suited to this project. You will also need to speak intermediate to advanced level Spanish.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.