Volunteer as a Professional Occupational Therapist in Vietnam
- POSITION: Occupational Therapist
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Hanoi
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Occupational Therapy or a related subject
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 3 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
As a qualified occupational therapist volunteering in Vietnam with Projects Abroad, you will be able to make a significant impact in hospitals and care centres near Hanoi.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer occupational therapists help in Vietnam?
As a volunteer occupational therapist you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. You can work on tasks such as:
- Helping the local staff to look after individual children.
- Assessing the physical, mental, and social challenges facing the children.
- Updating the children’s case profiles and treatment methods.
- Devising treatment programs to increase the patients’ ability to tackle their difficulties independently.
- Observing the children’s progress over a set time period.
- Working with local staff to find ways of improving the services provided to patients.
- Running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working in other care centres (optional).
The patients you will work with may be aged anywhere between 1 and 20 years old. This project runs all year round so you can join at any time.
What will I gain from this project?
As a volunteer abroad, you will gain meaningful experience of working in a developing country with a lack of resources.
You will also gain satisfaction from sharing your skills with the local staff and patients, and from the knowledge that treatments have been improved through the training and skills you have demonstrated.
What will Projects Abroad provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Vietnam is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation and meals in a volunteer house close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive, show you around and introduce you to your work placement.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have completed at least a degree in Occupational Therapy or a closed related subject then you are perfectly suited to this project.
It is possible to join this project for just two weeks if you don't have time to join us for a longer period. However, please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.
If you are interested in this project but don't have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Occupational Therapy project in Vietnam.