Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Adult Education, Thailand
- POSITION: English Teacher
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Krabi
- REQUIREMENTS: Degree in Teaching or a related subject
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
With a growing tourist industry and an improving economy, the demand for English speaking employees in private and stage sectors is on the rise. Your skills as a professional teacher are needed to support the under resourced projects that are currently in place in teach English to adults.
As a qualified teacher, your experienced will be used to plan and lead individual projects at an adult education centre. Here employees from various organizations will be able to learn and improve their English skills in a relaxed and non-threatening environment. You will work with organizations such as government fisheries and police departments who need their staff to have good conversational English skills.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer Teachers help in Thailand?
Existing English language training is often run cheaply and by unqualified teachers. Your role as a qualified teacher is to improve access to and quality of training to employees in both the public and private sectors.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Assess the quality of training material currently provided and suggest any improvements.
- Work with existing staff to assess and improve current standards of teaching methodology.
- Work with a class of approximately 20 adults to improve their conversational English skills.
- Identify the needs of adult learners and adapting teaching methods where necessary.
- Research and develop new courses to fit with the programs or curriculum requirements of, for example, community education projects and local education authorities.
- Preparing session or lesson plans appropriate to the size and type of learner group.
- Help individual learners with any difficulties they encounter with their studies.
- Promote adult education initiatives within the target groups, e.g. at open days or talks to community groups.
- Talk to prospective learners about course choice and what will be involved.
- Help learners become more confident.
You will work from 18-35 hours a week - and sometimes out of hours - depending on the individual project and how you develop your role with your project supervisor.
This project runs all year.
What will I gain from this project?
You will be involved with a friendly and highly dedicated team who are committed to the service they provide. Working with often limited resources and staff lacking technical knowledge and training, you will be able to adapt and develop your existing expertise to a different working environment. You will often face challenges not experienced in your home country. Through this cultural exchange you will learn different methodologies and techniques in your own discipline.
You will also have the opportunity to develop skills and experience in a wide variety of areas. These could be (and are project dependent)
- Assessment of the needs of the project partner.
- Collaborating with the project partner to develop more efficient and effective systems in the workplace.
- Collaborate with the project partner to develop outreach programs in the local community and beyond.
- Use your expertise to train staff and other volunteers.
- Using your initiative and problem solving skills to develop, set up and manage projects/programs.
- Monitor existing or new projects/programs.
- Develop and contribute to project evaluation reports to help with continuity between volunteers.
All of these can provide you with valuable experience and transferable skills useful for your career, and make valuable use of your existing expertise where it is truly needed.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Thailand is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Thai family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A friendly member of staff available to meet you on arrival at the airport.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a degree in Teaching or a related subject then you will be suited for this project.
Ideally, a qualified Teacher would also possess at least two years’ experience of practicing professionally.
Specific specialisms or interests in your field will be highly desirable. Please discuss this with us on application.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Teaching projects in Thailand.