Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Training for Teachers, Peru
- POSITION: Teacher Trainer
- PLACEMENT LOCATION: Cusco
- REQUIREMENTS: Full qualifications as a teacher
- ACCOMMODATION: Host family
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 4 weeks
- START DATES: Beginning of January each year
This project helps to provide training for English language teachers in Cusco, Peru. It is often the only in-service training the teachers receive each year.
You can take part in a 4-6 week course between January and March alongside other volunteers in conjunction with the Ministry of Education. The plan is to hold workshops with local teachers to improve their skills.
This project is perfect for anyone considering voluntary work abroad or teachers on a career break. You can contribute to the development of education in Peru.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer teacher trainers help in Peru?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer teacher trainer. You can work on tasks such as:
- Assess the quality of training material currently provided and suggest any improvements.
- Work with local teachers to discuss new methods of teaching English.
- Help with training workshops to demonstrate how to implement the new methodology in the classroom.
This project is run in conjunction with the Peruvian Ministry of Education. The course is designed for local teachers but people from other industries are welcome to apply. You will normally be paired up with another volunteer. You will work with groups of 8 to 15 teachers.
The project will run from anywhere between four and six weeks between January and March. Volunteers are requested to arrive a few days early for some preparatory training workshops with Projects Abroad staff.
Lessons will run from 8:30am to 12:30pm, Monday to Friday. There will also be at least one afternoon workshop. You will also be required to spend time preparing lesson plans.
What will I gain from this project?
This voluntary work abroad will allow you to gain experience of working in the developing world. You will learn how teachers are trained in Peru. You will also meet fellow professionals and share ideas about teaching English. This project is a fantastic opportunity for you to improve your Spanish speaking skills too.
Through working with the staff on this project, you will learn about Peru’s culture and way of life. Staff will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this "cultural exchange" and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Peru is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Peruvian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you are a qualified teacher then you are perfectly suited to this project. It would be very useful if you can speak Spanish but this is not compulsory.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our standard Teaching projects in Peru.