Provide vital volunteer support to refugees who are seeking refuge from adverse living conditions in their home countries. The fear of political violence, or a lack of economic opportunities is a real concern, forcing them to flee and seek assistance in neighbouring countries.
As a volunteer working with refugees abroad, you can:
- Help refugees apply for asylum and other identification documents
- Serve meals and hand-out essentials like clothing and toiletries
- Assist with basic medical work like the cleaning and bandaging of cuts and scrapes
- Teach English lessons in refugee shelters
By working with the refugees, you’ll help make their transition into a new country smoother despite all the obstacles put in their path. It’ll give you a deeper understanding of the challenges they face on their way to a better future. You might even find yourself pursuing a career in human rights after seeing their struggles firsthand.
Choose a Refugee Support Project
1-1 of 1 Projects
What will you gain as a refugee support volunteer abroad?
As a volunteer working with refugees abroad, you’ll get to assist with the transition process between their home country and final destination.
Your assistance will prove a great help to the refugee camps abroad but it’ll also add valuable work experience to your CV. This experience will be looked upon favourably by future university recruiters and employers. During your time on the project, you’ll:
- Work with a diverse group of people and get to know their backgrounds and cultures
- Learn about the challenges refugees face and the ongoing issues in countries around the world
- Develop your skills in communication, organization and leadership
- Improve your confidence
- Get to know and make friends with volunteers from around the world
Why does supporting refugees as a volunteer matter?
We all have the right to freedom, safety, and opportunities but this is not always the case in poor or war-torn countries. Many refugees face adverse living conditions in their home countries. The fear of persecution, war and violence, or a lack of opportunities, forces them to flee in order to find a safe place to live. As a refugee support volunteer abroad, you’ll help make their journey a more comfortable one.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Take a look at the following pages where you'll find collections of similar projects: