Sports followed by Conservation in Costa Rica
Help local kids keep active and learn new games on a sports program in Heredia, just outside of Costa Rica’s capital city of San Jose. Then, travel to the beautiful and largely untouched Barra Honda National Park to work on important tropical dry forest conservation.
When to go:
We recommend going to Costa Rica during the coolest months, November to January, though any time of year is lovely in Costa Rica!
Spend 4 weeks coaching Sports and 1 week at our Conservation Project.
Teaching Physical Education is a great way to get involved in the community and inspire young people to enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle. As a PE coach in Costa Rica, you will be based in one of our partner schools in and around Heredia. You do not need any prior experience to participate, but you should have an interest in sports and fitness. You’ll work with children ages 6-13 who come from all kinds of backgrounds. Volunteer work involves:
- Assisting local sports coaches
- Leading soccer and basketball games, or teaching new sports
- Planning games, practices, and scrimmages
- Getting the kids enthusiastic about playing sports and keeping healthy
Volunteers may also be asked to help with after school sports in the afternoons and evenings or with matches on the weekends.
Next, travel to the Nicoya peninsula in the Guanacaste region where our Conservation Project is based. This area is home to important dry tropical forests that are intertwined with deep caverns. Volunteers on this project can take part in tasks such as:
- Helping with wildlife research, including surveying and monitoring bats, birds, scarlet macaws, mammals, and butterflies
- Working on the Blue Flag Project- which supports local schools working to obtain the ecological Blue Flag award by helping them to build biogardens and recycling centres and assisting in environmental education projects in schools and local communities
- Constructing, maintaining, and extending trails within the park
Volunteers can spend their free time exploring the beautiful beaches and mountains of Costa Rica, fully immersing themselves in the Pura Vida lifestyle.
– 2,150CAD 2 Flexible-date Projects
in the Same Destination
Additional costs include flights and visas where applicable. Read more about what's included on our Prices page.
*Explanation of pricing: When combining projects within the same destination, you pay for the highest priced project and then any other project is charged at its "extra week" price, regardless of the order that you do the projects.
For more information about the pricing for this project and other combined projects, check out our prices page.