What are some good volunteering opportunities for families?
For family volunteer trips, we strongly recommend the following programs:
Some projects will be more suitable for families than others, so we advise speaking directly to a Project Expert about which one would be the best family volunteer vacation for you. Below, we also offer a curated list of projects that are definitely family-friendly, so we encourage you to take a look.
What do I need to know about volunteering with my family?
With dedicated in-country staff around the world, we can provide your family with a hassle-free volunteering trip. We provide:
- Visa advice
- Three meals a day
- Project activities
- In-country airport pick-ups and drop-offs
- Ground transportation to and from your project
We will also support families with children of various ages:
- We can accept volunteers aged four years and older with their families. Contact us if your child will be under the age of four at the time you want to travel and we can discuss the options available.
- Ages 4-14: Children between 4-14 years old can be accommodated and work with their parent(s) for a reduced fee. Generally, project fees for children are about 70% less than the listed adult price.
Most age restrictions of 16+ on projects are for solo travelers. In many cases, if parents are traveling with them, this does not apply.
- Ages 15+: If your child is aged 15 or older, he/she may volunteer without the accompaniment of a parent at the standard per person price.
- We offer a 5% discount to immediate family members traveling together. This discount applies to adults and children aged 15+.
- We can usually arrange family work abroad programs in all destinations except China and Costa Rica.
- In Jamaica, families are welcome. However, children cannot go to work with their parents here, so one parent needs to look after the children, or childcare can be arranged.
What’s an example of family volunteering?
Families with younger children typically join our childcare, teaching, sports coaching, and even our conservation projects! On childcare, teaching and sports coaching, parents can make a huge impact on the local youth community while children volunteers can help and bond with local kids. On some of our conservation projects, like Mexico Sea Turtle Conservation, parents and kids can directly contribute to ecological efforts and sometimes have a hands-on role with the animals!
Sample Pricing for a 2-week Ghana Childcare Family Trip:
1 adult: $2,905 CAD
1 child: $820 CAD
Can my family volunteer abroad for free?
We often get asked if families can volunteer abroad for free. The short answer is “no”. We can’t offer a gold standard for our volunteer abroad programs without charging fees. Read our blog which explains why we ask volunteers to pay a fee.